09 March 2010

Thoughts to Live By

It's been two months since my last blog post, and much has occurred in the past nine weeks from association meetings, events and inductions. I do not intend to elaborate on these endeavors any more. In addition to all these activities, I have a demanding job that leaves me tired by the end of the day.

Not that I am complaining, but at some point, I cannot deny my frustration and utter exhaustion - there are moments wherein I feel myself sliding away from reality into a blank space in my head, other moments I can feel myself choked from within like a knot building within my chest getting tighter with each breath I take, other days I have an undetermined fear swimming in my belly like a fish swishing its tail playfully back and forth. Panic attacks, I call them. Not my favorite feeling, but regardless how often I try to shrug them away, they linger annoyingly like a belligerent companion seeking my attention.

After an intoxicating January and February, I've put my foot on the ground and dedicated my March for personal space, personal time and relaxation. This is the month where I am doing things for myself. Although there might be a couple of extra activities on the side, March is the month for myself.

While doing my mall visitation and checking today, I found a good "Day Starter" posted on the bulletin. Without hesitation, I copied it on my notebook. I need a little inspiration and I don't mind having one to remind me to be appreciative of what I have.

Permit me to share the short piece below. Though to some, the items may sound like an over reminder. I agree, we've already had our fair share of these survival tidbits - but I've realized it is good to keep them in a visible spot when things get out of hand, common sense does have a tendency to become a dastard hiding from the arrows of emotional distress.

"Thoughts to Live By
Author Unknown. Source Unknown.

You shall not worry, for worry is the most unproductive of all human activities.

You shall not be fearful, for most of the things we fear never come to pass.

You shall not carry grudges, for they are the heaviest of all life's burdens.

You shall face each problem as it comes; you can handle one at a time anyway.

You shall not take problems to bed with you, for they make very poor bedfellows.

You shall not borrow other persons' problems. They can better care for them than you.

You shall not try to relive yesterday for good or ill, it is forever gone. Concentrate on what is happening in your life and be happy now.

You shall be a good listener, for only when you listen do you hear ideas different from your own.

You shall not become "bogged down" with frustration, for 90 percent of it is rooted in self pity and will only interfere with positive action.

You shall count your blessings, never overlooking the small ones, for a lot of small blessings add up to a big one."

1 comment:

josh said...

Hi, just wondering if there is something I can do to maybe swap links with your blog? Thanks =)