26 April 2009

Fried Chicken Alfredo and Penne

Inspired by the world's greatest chef, Dave's delicious video recipe of Fried Chicken Alfredo with Egg Noodles, I decided to try it myself at home for my family to enjoy.

I intended to cook this dish a couple of weeks ago, but due to the constraints trying to get everything ready for our Taiwan trip, I just couldn't find the time to really go to the kitchen and do it. My parents and I already bought the ingredients then, and because of the delay, sad to say, my parsley already withered and was of no use to me now that I wanted to prepare the recipe. So with a few alterations from the original procedure, and some help from my mom with the dredging and frying, this is our version of Fried Chicken Alfredo (with Penne).


Fried Chicken Alfredo and Penne
Inspired by Dave

1. Prick half a kilo of boneless chicken breasts with a fork and slice them into strips.
2. Season the strips with Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. I used McCormick's Club House One Step Seasoning Italiano which contains dehydrated vegetables as red and green bell peppers, garlic, onion and parsley. I've also combined it with a local McCormick Italian seasoning which contains marjoram, thyme, rosemary, savory sage and spices. After massaging the seasonings into the chicken, leave the strips and prepare the other ingredients you will be needing for the recipe.
3. Put your penne or spaghetti or noodles in a pot of boiling water and cook until al dente. Don't forget to add some salt and oil into the water so the noodles won't stick to the pot.
4. Chop one onion and a head of garlic. Optional: Slice six pieces of large button mushrooms.
5. After step 4, dredge the chicken strips in flour and deep fry until golden brown. Set aside.
6. In a wok, melt a stick of butter (or according to how much you can handle), add the chopped onion and garlic. When fragrant, throw in the sliced mushrooms and give it a few stirs.
7. Once you think it's ready, pour in some all purpose cream into the mushroom-garlic-onion mixture. I added two tetra-packs for mine. Just add according to what you feel and think is best.
8. Season this with some pepper and salt. I added some tarragon and basil leaves just for an extra kick. Once the sauce has come to a simmer, add some Parmesan cheese in. Since I don't have Parmesan, I just grated some Quickmelt and threw that in. Mix that and taste. Season accordingly.
9. To plate, put the pasta in a bowl and top with some chicken strips. Pour the sauce over that, then put a couple more strips above that. Crown everything with a sprinkle of dried Italian seasoning and cheese and it's ready to serve.

My siblings loved it and have expressed their favor of having the same viand next time. My mom told me that I made mine too creamy but overall it was good; she gave me a 92 over 100 score for this. This is a really heavy dish to consume, just a few mouthfuls could fill up one's tummy satisfactorily. :)

If you want to watch the original video, I took the liberty of posting it below. Cheers!

No comments: